Thread: pondering
View Single Post
Kathleen83

Member Since Nov 2011
96 hugs
given
Default Aug 23, 2019 at 08:20 AM

Great questions! Short answer - finding a trauma based therapist who recognized I had PTSD, and is now working on earning my trust so that I can talk about it, and leading me through steps so that I can not only discuss it, but deal with everything that talking about it brings up. My experience - getting to the point where I am so low / distraught / in pain / miserable that I either had to find help, or....else. Seeking out professional help, and sometimes not returning for a 2nd appointment, because I just couldn't connect with that particular pro. Continuing looking until I could find one I COULD connect with. And for me, trust is a HUGE issue, in all relationships, so, I have to start out slow with a new pro. Which means I have to find a pro who is also willing to start out slow. Whenever I'm approaching a "new" pro - the first few sessions are all about building that trust - not about addressing my "issues". As they are evaluating me, I'm evaluating them. Am I comfortable talking to them? Are they really LISTENING to what I'm saying? Is what THEY are saying feeling "right" to me? As for how to deal with something you can't talk about - that is where the trust you build up in the relationship comes into play, along with the skill of who you see. Your pro should be able to lead you to where you can talk about what is going on; be willing to spend as much time as needed to get there, AND help you deal with everything that gets stirred up during that process. For me, I'm newly diagnosed with PTSD from events that occurred over 40+ years ago. I never once mentioned that I "knew" I had PTSD - never had to. The initial screening process given to me indicated it, and we started from there. All the others I've seen over the years? Treated bits and pieces. So, keep trying.

Dissociation

Kathleen83 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous42119, jrae, Lilly2, Lilwren

Thanks for this!
jrae