Poohbah

Member Since Aug 2017
79 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 24, 2019 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_crazy View Post
i had facial tics and such...from 'atypicals,' but probably because the atypicals were combined with too many other things, including stimulants.

some people will call this quackery, but antioxidants seem to have taken care of it for me. Its based on Orthomolecular psychiatry, which started in the 50s, around the same time Thorazine started flooding the state hospitals. high dose vitamin E (I use natural form), high dose C, b-100 complex, additional B3 (I use niacinamide), melatonin at night if needed. Other stuff, too, if one feels like it...now and then, I'll add in alpha lipoic acid. It recycles other antioxidants and is an antioxidant in its own right, too. Green tea extract, grape seed extract, taurine, NAC, selenium, zinc.

there are some FDA-approved options available, now, but they're $$$$ and getting coverage can be a problem. next to clozapine, seroquel is apparently still regarded as the least toxic antipsychotic, when it comes to TD. Its low potency (like Thorazine), and low(er) potency agents are usually associated with less TD. Fun fact: if doctors hadn't gone so crazy with the dosages of Thorazine back in the day, it wouldn't have caused so much TD...300-600mgs/Thorazine per day is about all most people could possibly need, and it doesn't seem to cause TD any more often at that dose than reasonable doses of risperidone.

manganese has been used in Orthomolecular circles to prevent TD and suppress/treat established cases, all by itself. Me, personally...I'd mix it in with other stuff, just to cover all the bases.

sorry you're suffering. :-( hope this helps.
Don稚 want to hijack thread so a quick question: do you also take N-AcetylCysteine? It痴 the largest antioxidant precursor.

Psych meds: Saphris, Seroquel XR, regular Seroquel.
PRN Diazepam and Zopiclone
Pookyl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
gayleggg, MickeyCheeky, Wild Coyote