View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Sep 02, 2019 at 03:55 PM

Hello Ch1975: Thank you for bringing your concern here to PC. I see this is your first post. So... welcome to PsychCentral.

Both in your post, as well as in the title, you asked if you did the right thing. I'm not going to offer an opinion on that. I'm not a mental health professional. (Most of us here on PC are not.) And this is a situation that has quite a few facets to it. (Other PC members may have perspectives they'll wish to offer.) Perhaps it would be something that would be worth both you & your husband discussing with a family therapist yourselves?

I do think people who are knowledgeable with regard to suicide would say it is always important to take any threat of suicide seriously. Here's a link to an article, from Psych Central's archives, that speaks to that perspective:

How To Handle a Teen's Dramatic or Manipulative Suicide Threat | Don't Call Me Crazy

The fact is, as things stand now, your son is where he is. And you can't undo what has already occurred. I think the best you can do, at this point, is to exercise your best judgement in consultation with the medical & mental health professionals who are treating your son. My best wishes to you & your family.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote