View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,344 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 03, 2019 at 04:06 AM

In life, there is a price for everything. To achieve any goal there are dues to pay. To gain independence, there are dues to pay. It can seem like the cost is just too high. But staying in a rut imposes costs also. There is a natural tendency to follow the "path of least resistance." Doing otherwise can seem way too tiring. So one sticks to an old pattern, clutching on to what is, rather than reaching for what could be. That also imposes a price. Either way you pay.

Of course what you do is your choice. (And that's good that you recognise you have got a choice.) I didn't assume anything. Try listening. I said "your track record predicts" what you will do. Before people bet on a horse, they look at the horse's "track record." Analysts in many fields (sports, the stock market, credit bureaus, etc.) know that "the best predictor of the future is past performance." I didn't make up that rule of forecasting. But the past is not a perfect forecaster of the future. Once in a while, there's a big surprise. Once in a while, the unexpected happens. Maybe you'll do the unexpected. That's entirely possible. (It's just not real likely.)
Once in a while, people do what no one expects. You may. I don't know.

People have made fortunes betting that the unexpected will happen. When the horse with a track record of coming in 10th finally comes in 1rst, those who bet on that horse win big! Longshots pay the highest return. That doesn't change the reality that past behavior tends to give the best idea of what can be expected in the future.

Maybe you disagree with the idea I've just discussed. That might explain your relationships. Someone engages in bad behavior over and over, but you think they might start acting totally different going forward.
I tend to think, "What you see is what you get."

I don't think I can predict what you will do. But I will predict that this guy you're with is going to keep giving you mere crumbs of his attention. And I predict you're going to keep being unhappy with that. I'm not assuming. I'm just saying that's how I'ld bet, if I had to lay money on it.

Hugs from:
Anonymous445852