Thread: Parts vs Alters
View Single Post
Anonymous40258

Default Sep 09, 2019 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rive1976 View Post
I have a question. You mentioned you dont have to dissociate with parts and you know you are switching over to the other part. How does that differ than being co-conscious with an alter?
Using the swimming example, when playing a part of myself when teaching someone how to swim I may say” okay, I am going to let go now. Try to swim on your own.” When a co-conscious alter tries to preform the same task they may loose themselves a little and let go without notice or they may not think to let go at all. They may dissociate and let go accidentally or worst case scenario, they may try to punish someone for failing to learn how to swim on their own. This is only an example of how I interpret this and does not relate to daily life. Mostly I would not relate this to daily life because we are not responsible to teach each other to swim - but in a scenario where we are responsible teach someone how to swim, there are expectations that you may be able to take part in this activity with full consciousness. There are ways to prevent dissociating from happening, and there are ways to be supportive to our parts and not alters. I believe one way to prevent dissociation is to find and identify our parts and alters, and practice using them.

Thanks for this!
Rive1976