View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Sep 11, 2019 at 04:12 PM

A lot of medications have been mentioned in this "Bipolar Treatments" sub-forum, and also ECT. But I noticed that therapy, as a bipolar treatment, was missing.

For me, psychotherapy, when added to medications, has been very beneficial in various ways. I don't think that medications alone would have really done the full job in getting me to where I am now. I know that there are many options in psychotherapy that are helpful for people with bipolar disorder. Has therapy made a positive difference for you? If so, in what ways and what type of therapy/approach has been most helpful?

I guess I've had some rather nondescript types of therapy (just talking, really, with no real direction), CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), a little DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy), and a more brain and attachment-based therapy. I found the last three types most helpful, and with that variety, I've benefited more fully, than I otherwise might have. I must say that "therapy and me" were not a happy pair, in the beginning. I was quite resistant to it, in my earlier days. I also had some difficulties finding the right therapists for the job. It's a long story, but I went from therapy hater to therapy lover.

The following issues tend(ed) to trigger my episodes:

* Stress (good or bad)
* Anxiety
* Hormonal stuff
* Seasonal changes
* Unhealthy living (from alcohol consumption to poor eating, etc.)
* And sometimes who in the heck knows!

Challenging dysfunctional thinking, self-checks, use of coping tools, improved self-care, deliberate stress reduction or preparations, stress coping game plans, putting together a strong mental health support network, vigilance when first symptoms are detected, and so many other strategies have helped me. I learned most from my many therapists and psychiatrist.

A few years back, I was lucky to have access to a WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action program). It provided several tools for a wellness toolbox for earliest symptoms to crisis situations. Having all of the above things "in the ready" has been crucial in keeping me out of the hospital, able to function well longer, and in some cases, even reduce my medication cocktail.

Last edited by Anonymous46341; Sep 11, 2019 at 04:35 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, bizi, Blue_Bird, fern46, Wild Coyote