View Single Post
*Beth*
catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 14, 2019 at 09:24 AM

Honestly, I would have restructured most of my life. From severe (and yes, I mean severe...ugly) childhood abuse to choices I made because I was unskilled, naive, and functionally retarded (I'm using the word "retarded" literally, to mean that my emotional abilities and functionality was stunted).

Getting married at age 18, for example, because I had to get out of my childhood home. Yet, I had no known way to support myself. So my husband (age 34 when we were married) has controlled my financial life, all of my adult life.

As a result of having married so young my marriage is difficult - and I have had several painful affairs over the past 38 years.

And so it went. I loved being a mom and managed, somehow, to raise children that have become highly functional adults. But I very rarely see them; I suspect they are ashamed of me, on some level.

As for having bipolar disorder; oddly, I'm not sure I would change that. BD has given me the ability to see, hear, and generally perceive a world that is probably far more magnificent than the normal world is. Also, I've learned so much, being bipolar.

So yes, there is a lot of my life that I would change. I think mostly, I would have respected myself so that the significant people in my life also respected me. Being "strong" is something born of necessity. I would have preferred to be successful.

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
lizardlady