Thread: LT's thread
View Single Post
snowangel17

Member Since Jul 2017
1 hugs
given
Default Sep 15, 2019 at 07:10 PM

I'm sorry to hear things didn't end so well with your T LT. Like many others, I think you can find a T that can help you and you are not doomed forever. This T just didn't seem to have the background in attachment and relational issues that it seems he needed IMO. What he said in his last session to you does not seem helpful from reading it here. Yes, you may find a new T and come across similar issues but the hope is they will help you work through those issues and help you to figure out why those patterns are happening and what you can do about them. You do need to find a T who has firm clear boundaries and is not willing to compromise but can also show you the care that you seek.

I have some similar issues with my T in that I am always looking for signs of care and pushing the boundaries. I am shown care in lots of ways but not always in the way that I want which I find frustrating. I always feel like I need it to be more explicit and THEN I would feel it but she does not think that would be helpful for various reasons. I am in no doubt she finds me incredibly frustrating at times (She has alluded to this on one occasion when I asked) but does not choose to share this with me on a regular basis or ever let it show. We are in therapy for therapists to help us. Frustration and annoyance and all those other great things should be part of their work and they should have ways to deal with it. Honesty can be beneficial at appropriate times not necessarily needed ALL of the time IMO. A good therapist would have some awareness or understanding of the reasons why a client keeps needing to know that they care or at least a willingness and curiosity to explore it further if not.

As someone else mentioned the therapy relationship is a microcosm of what goes on in the outside world. There I do also find it difficult to 'feel' other people's care having relied on myself for so much of my life. I have the awareness however not to push the boundaries of those people to ask or get them to show me in ways that are detrimental to the relationship like I do in therapy. That is what therapy is for. It allows me to explore those desires and needs that I can't really explore as safely in the real world. It's through exploring them that I hope perhaps I'll find some answers and maybe even make improvements and heal some of the old relational and attachment wounds that I have. I think the right T with solid boundaries but an ability to show care and perhaps even say it can help you do the same. Good luck in your search for your next T!
snowangel17 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SalingerEsme

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight