View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Sep 20, 2019 at 09:48 AM

I agree with seeker33 about language learning. Ultimately, you need lessons (or exposure) with live people. I have played around with Duolingo, but it was only slightly helpful. I don't think that method is effective. It's fun, but that's its main purpose.

About four or five months ago, I was taking private French lessons with a native Parisian, but I quit. My level is probably Intermediate, though I needed some reminders about elementary grammar rules. As far as vocabulary knowledge, I'm a bit more advanced. My husband wants to possibly move to France in a few years. Before then, I will join group lessons at a local French language school. I should really study for at least a full year to become fluent enough for my comfort, preferably two. I had studied French for five years in my youth, but that was almost 30 years ago. My husband studied French for almost 10 years, but again, that was decades ago.

In my senior year of high school, I studied a year of Mandarin Chinese. Then I continued studying Chinese all four years of college, and for almost one year in Taiwan. I also took one semester of German, though I forget most of the little German I learned. I also speak a tiny bit of Czech, because my husband is a native Czech from Prague. However, my Czech is sort of limited in scope and I definitely haven't mastered any of the grammar, which is severely difficult.

I once started to study a bit of Spanish and Portuguese, but stopped very soon after. I remember only a few hands full of words and phrases in those languages.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Blue_Bird, seeker33