Thread: Geodon question
View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Sep 21, 2019 at 04:31 PM

Hi Amy3boys! I'm glad that you no longer have akathisia. I know how torturous that can be. I've had akathisia on a few medications, but Geodon was the worst. Perhaps your current feelings of dissociation are part of a little withdrawal? I don't know. Please ask your doctor about that. I have had periods when I experienced depersonalization/derealization, but I don't think it had to do with Geodon, even though I was on Geodon at that time.

Most of the time I took Geodon I took 160 mg per day. They started me out twice per day, which is the recommended. However, in the beginning it was quite sedating for me. I managed to twist a doctor's arm into letting me take all 160 mg at night. That did help calm daytime sedation. However, over time I got naughty and decreased my daily dose to 80 mg, taking the full 80 mg at night. Unfortunately, that was not enough for me. I was getting severely manic, nearly being hospitalized a few times. Then I fessed up to my psychiatrist and told him what I had done. He then had me taking 80 mg twice per day again (totally 160 mg per day). That did help curb the manias for a while. I do believe taking it twice per day was better. I recall that when I only took it only at night, it would calm me down at night, but like you said, during the day it seemed to have worn off. Taking twice daily helped with that a bit.

Actually, the phenomenon of my moods being leveled after my evening doses, and then growing out of control in the mornings through daytime, is common for me. Even to this day. My evening medications are pretty potent and numerous. They do help me get decent sleep. I do take medications in the mornings, but they are not sedating for me at all. Because of that, I gain momentum throughout the day. Often by 2 or 3 pm, I can be pretty high energy. Occasionally, I have to take an "as needed" Seroquel IR, but I try not to.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi, bpcyclist, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Amy3boys, Sunflower123, Wild Coyote