Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 26, 2019 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
How can a BPD person be diagnosed if she does not admit the sympthoms?

Even tho she has kinda all the symthoms (without the extreme impulsivity and self harm), she does not admit them.

She says she does not have a big fear of abandonment - but almost daily she wanted reassurances that I don't leave her, asked me different questions to verify this, dreams of me leaving etc - of course all this she will not tell to the psy

She says she has been all the time very attached of me and she appreciated me - however plenty days she was very mean and distant, not talking, for no reason, not even regarding towards me etc - of course she will not tell this to the psy (maybe she is not even aware she is like that often)

She says that she does not have big of a emotional swings, she says is because she is only a little tired - but almost every day she's like a different person (either depressed, detached, either happy, distant, loving, energetic etc)

She says the unstable relationships that she only had is only because she was "unlucky" or the others were not attached to her, she does not admit on having a fault on this

etc etc

She says to me that she often has feeling of emptiness (but I don't think she will tell to the psy), definitely concentration problems (often she does not listens when I talk to her), big mood changes for no reason, periods feeling down, does not sleeps very well, gets very concerned/paranoid for very little things, very bad self image even tho she's pretty etc

How can a psy diagnose within 1h a stranger if she does not admit nothing?

As she is more of a "high functionning quiet borderline" to me, and also I saw her symthoms only after a few months of living with her, I really don't think a psy can diagnose her.

What is the solution then? She will go see a psy, not admit anything, he will say she does not have bpd. She will put even more blame on me for insisting that she has a problem...
Diagnosing a disorder is not just about whether a person admits to having symptoms and problems. theres actually a lot of things treatment providers go by... medical history, life style a persons cultural background, what medications they are on, what and how they word their sentences, computerized tests, face to face interviewing, … did you know that even computerized tests have whats called validity scales and hesitation scales, this test a low score says a disorder and that test a high score says a disorder.... even inconsistancies in what is being discussed can point to certain disorders.

my suggestion is to let your friend worry about whether she has a mental disorder and you go back to just being her friend, it may be causing her some distress that you may feel like she has a mental disorder which may be causing her to lie to you or not admit things to you that she would otherwise admit to her own treatment providers. bottom line is that its no one elses business whether someone has a mental disorder or not, here in America we have whats called privacy laws that means no one other than her own treatment providers need to know anything about whether or not she has a mental disorder. she could be just protecting her mental health rights to privacy by not admitting to having symptoms and problems associated with mental disorders. just be her friend and leave the mental disorder stuff to her would be my suggestion since she obviously doesn't want you to know or diagnose her.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote