Community Liaison

Member Since Jun 2016
70.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 30, 2019 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
Have been developing a bit of a dry cough for maybe a couple of weeks. Was hoping it would just go away. It's not. It's getting worse. I should probably see someone, I had a pneumonia in my thirties and it was misery. Don't want to repeat that. Problem is, I am currently uninsured. And as I live now, with all these responsibilities for supporting various people and children, a $400 trip to the doctor or a $2000 trip to the ER just really isn't in the budget.

Very stressful being uninsured. You're always just one bad day away from a huge bill you may not be able to pay. Oh well, what are you gonna do. I think I'll just sit tight. See if it blows over. Maybe it will.
I am sorry you are not feeling well. It can be very stressful to not have any/enough health insurance coverage.

I don't know if this info will be helpful to you or not. I do know of many people who have found an incredible amount of excellent health care through these federally funded health centers.

Federally Qualified Health Centers | Official web site of the U.S. Health Resources & Services Administration

You may enter your location on the following page in order to see the health center closest to you.

Find a Health Center

I hope this helps. I have been very surprised at how many people I know of have found all of the help they need via one of these health centers.
In my location, many of the residents training at the local teaching hospital also spend time at this clinic and offer outstanding health care.

You might also contact your local hospital(s) and inquire as to "free clinics" available to anyone uninsured/underinsured. We have many affiliated with the local hospitals and the clinics are never advertised. It is worth asking around.

If you must get help from any public hospital and you do not have insurance or are underinsured, you may contact the billling office and tell them you need patient financial assistance with your bill(s). Get your medical care first.
Then contact them. They will give you forms to fill out and will determine your eligibility for financial aid.

There are monies available to patients needing financial help. It is okay to have coverage and to apply as well. These funds are for both the uninsured and the underinsured. Please do not hesitate to ask for these forms and do follow through with your application. Many think they will get zero help and do not follow through.. Many people, including those with insurance, also receive help.

(Whatever you do, if you must go to the hospital without insurance coverage, do not ignore any subsequent billing. Apply for assistance and stay on top of the status of your account, even if calling to let them know that your application for financial assistance is still pending. Hospitals can be very aggressive in collections if they rule that the person is not making an adequate effort to settle the billing/charges.)

These funds are available for people who tend to fall through the cracks. Those who tend to fall through the cracks are those who do not qualify for Medicaid, yet their medical care causes significant financial hardship(s).

I am sorry, I have given a lot of info. I just want to be sure you and any other reader understands as much as possible about these options for assistance in obtaining./paying for medical care. (We also have a large number of people reading here who never register.)

I hope something I have written about is helpful to you/yours at some point in your lives.

Be well.

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341