View Single Post
jaymoq

Member Since Jun 2015
5 hugs
given
Default Sep 30, 2019 at 08:35 PM

I am working full time as a youth focused disability counselor. The hours count toward my clinical counseling license. I’ve got about a year left of logging hours if I stay full time. I want to eventually do equine therapy, specializing in autism. But that’s a ways off. Like a long term retirement goal.

My job now pays pretty low. I’ve been eligible for a promotion and get glowing performance reviews, but keep getting passed up for other staff. When I try to ask my boss what I can do to make myself more eligible for consideration, she just says be patient and things take time. But staff less senior than me are getting promoted and I’ve been in my job for 4 years now without a raise or promotion and it gets tiring. I’m always given special projects and asked to mentor new staff. But- I can’t get the monetary compensation. And let’s face it- that helps.

I got exasperated the other day and applied for a job in the same company but in the training division. Basically I’d be training staff in the field. It would mean a lot of travel. Sometimes overnight. I’d be responsible for a pretty big region. A 5th of the state. But, I wouldn’t be doing client primary work. Right now, I’ll admit, it can be challenging for my mental health to maintain a caseload or 80+ clients. I am getting my counseling hours doing it but the pressure is high. This training job would be a different kind of stress. I taught for a few years in public schools and loved it but never got certified. This job would hypothetically mean more $$. So— more travel, but also more $$. I’d keep the same benefits. I’d stay in the same company. But I’d be in a new department.

I just am so torn. These jobs only open up whenever someone retires basically. And that’s rare. So, if I don’t pursue it now, it could mean waiting a long time for the opportunity. I’m still relatively young. I don’t have children. And I could use the extra money.

Downside- I would lose the counseling hours which means I’d have to start volunteering somewhere else to get them and that’ll take a bit longer to be licensed. Also, I’d be gone up to two weeks a month overnight (not consecutive but 2-3 days at a time). And my actual office would be about 70 miles from my house. For reference, right now I travel about 20-45 miles depending on which school I’m visiting. Either way- I’m traveling. Question is how far and how long.

I’m so anxious. My interview is in a few days. I know I’m prematurely worrying. I don’t have an offer. But I feel wrong accepting an interview with such mixed feelings. And even wronger if I interview and then turn it down.

I do want to interview to learn more. Like- what’s the schedule. How often will I be gone. What will my duties be. Etc. But I’m terrified at the thought of change. And yet discouraged at stagnation where I am.

I need some unbiased outsider opinions.

Hugs from:
bpcyclist, SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist