sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 01, 2019 at 01:46 PM

Hey @jaymoq-
I think you will find this article very interesting.
The relationship between borderline personality disorder and bipolar disorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoq View Post
I’ve struggled with my mental health since I was an adolescent. I was always describe as “sensitive”. I’m often told I catastrophize everything. I have backup plans to backup plans for everything. I obsess about situations and ideas sometimes. I do have mood swings. Depression is a challenge. I have experienced self-harm since adolescence and have been hospitalized for it. I have extreme attachment issues with relationships. I don’t ever hate anyone though. I’ve been divorced twice. I often feel rejected and seriously insecure.

My therapist diagnosed me with Bipolar II. I have been taking an antidepressant and mood stabilizer. But I still feel “wrong”.

My boyfriend told me a few days ago he googled it and thinks I have BPD. Of course google is not ever a good idea. I was initially insulted and my feelings were hurt. This happens a lot. My feelings get hurt really easily in romantic relationships. Well- let’s face it— all relationships. But I am comfortable enough to say something in my personal relationships.

On the outside I am functional. I have a full time job, I pay all my bills, I am well spoken and stable. I am the steady one that everyone else comes to for help and support. I support everyone else.

But I can’t support myself emotionally. Behind closed doors I am impulsive, prone to anger or sadness, spend too much $, and irrationally obsess with certain things. I want to be perfect.

I guess I’m just lost. I read the symptoms sticky and it resonates. I am generally stable as it relates to day to day living. I am responsible; sometimes to a fault. I don’t smoke. I don’t drink. I track my health. I am conscious of my diet. And I take it personally if someone I know doesn’t act like this. I have decent credit (my 2nd divorce tapped me out though). I have multiple vehicles, run a horse training business on the side of my day job. I keep myself super busy because when I’m not busy I lose myself.

In relationships I’m just a mess. I need constant validation. And once someone says something harsh or hurtful, I can’t stop from it hurting me. Especially when my beau leaves during arguments. He gets in his car and I just lose it. If I get lied to, I perseverate.

Does this make any sense? I have an upcoming appointment with my therapist. But I’m sitting here obsessively thinking about what my beau said and it’s driving me mad. I do that— get stuck on these feelings. That most folks wouldn’t think twice about. I trust everyone innately. To a fault. But I also distrust them. I once had an abusive ex and I felt bad when I got him thrown in jail for beating me up.

Sorry word rant going here. I’m feeling keyed up now.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote