Elder

Member Since Nov 2016
15 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 01, 2019 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Coyote View Post
While talking can be very grounding for some people, in some cases, talking can make things feel more intense, more real. I think that can be additionally frightening and can stir up more dissociation.

The way out of dissociation can be quite difficult. As you have mentioned, the first step is in recognizing triggers. I know this can be very tricky.

Does anything help when you are dissociating?

I often find talking helpful. I also find it very helpful if/when someone says my name. It is also sometimes helpful to me if someone (someone close to me) simply touches my forearm or some gesture like that where I become aware of my body.

The kind of fear that sets off dissociating is fierce! In fact, we dissociate in order to escape it, I think?

Over time, and after studying under many different authors, I'd realized that there is "Fear"and there is "Love." One can overwhelm the other. When I am feeling an overwhelmig amount of fear, I try to reach out and change my "status" by listening to music, by reaching out to help others, etc. If I can get myself more in alignment with Love, it is more difficult for me to identify with the fear. I am then not so overwhelmed with fear...and the need for dissociation tends to let up.

PTSD deserves respect, in that my writing something "fruity," like I have done so above, may seem "fluffy"and not be helpful. PTSD makes some significant changes in the central nervous system, etc.

In thinking about it though, for many of us, it has taken some very hurtful (often devastating) actions (usually on the part of others) to create the wound(s) and the fear associated with PTSD/dissociation. It then makes sense to me the that the opposite, Love and Light, might offer us some healing. (?)

One of the things I try to remember to do is to make sure I am in a place, or get myself into a place, where I feel as much Love as I can muster at the time.

Sometimes, it is helpful to recall a time when we have felt Love around us. If we focus/meditate upon times like these, we might be able to recreate the feeling and the associated chemistry. I find this helpful when I am feeling lost.

If we can create or recreate a feeling of being surrounded by Love, we might be able to chase away (or to transform) some of the fear and we might be able to escape, or to lessen our need to dissociate so often, so deeply?

This may or may not be helpful to you.

It has been very helpful to me and I'd wanted to share some of my experience with you.

You are not alone.

May you feel surrounded by Love
Having someone talk to me helps when I'm dissociated. Even if I don't seem to be responding, it's helping.

Also, I have an idea what is triggering/did trigger this, but I'm not sure if it's real or not. Does that make sense?

Diagnoses:
PTSD with Dissociative Symptoms, Borderline Personality Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain
childofchaos831 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, Innerzone, Nammu, Sunflower123, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
Wild Coyote