View Single Post
Anonymous42119

Default Oct 01, 2019 at 07:37 PM

@jaymoq -- I'm the same way concerning therapy! I initially studied psychology and volunteered in a clinical psychology research lab to get some research experience and publish my undergrad honors thesis into a peer-reviewed journal. After spending some time there, and considering my unresolved trauma issues, I've decided that clinical psychology, social work, or an LPC isn't what I can do (I don't want to get vicarious or secondary trauma on top of the traumas I already have). However, I found that I loved working on trauma research, and it didn't trigger me to do so. I suppose being in support groups in real life and hearing others' stories while I shared my own helped me to desensitize that way before I completed my undergrad degree in psych. I'm now looking at victimology studies in the criminal justice side of things, or interdisciplinary research. My goal is to eventually get a PhD, but I have to get my physical and mental health manageable. My chronic fatigue is really bad, as is my worsening thyroid.

That said, if you don't feel like therapy is something you plan to do primarily, you could consider getting your clinical hours in at a slow pace while pursing work in areas you might love, such as maybe working as a paid research assistant or lab manager in a lab, at a hospital, in a correctional (criminal justice/juvenile justice) facility, etc. If you love to write and do statistics, then you could always apply for PhD programs in clinical psychology, school psychology, developmental psychology, cognitive psychology, experimental psychology, family and community based PhD programs (Clemson has a four-year PhD program for family and community studies that you could do online), or interdisciplinary studies that combines two or more fields (such as psychology and peace studies - there's a school in Maine, or psychology and environment/geology that looks at how green space affects people's moods, behaviors, etc.). You could also explore government work, work through a local Veterans Administration, etc.

Hope these options help! Good luck on your interview!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote