catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 03, 2019 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDancer View Post
Hi BethRags. I understand the discomfort of having mental health providers clearly showing bad moods/stress. I've experienced that with a few in the past. Even my long-time psychiatrist can come across as grumpy on occasion. Or even yell. He can also be a wet blanket. If it is a constant, that can be good reason to change a doctor/therapist, but if it is a temporary thing, perhaps if it affects you negatively, it's good to tell them. They are human with problems in life, too. However, if there is ever a doctor or other service provider that should try extra extra hard to regulate such emotions at work, it is a psychiatrist and therapist. Us psych patients are often very easily triggered.

Thank you for sharing your experience. And yes - I agree. As psych patients, we can easily be pushed over the edge. Honestly, all I could think of was that my pdoc was thinking only of herself, not hearing me - just like my mom always did. It hurt. A lot.

I have received the same exact lecture you received from my psychiatrist a few times. The last time he delivered it in a very appropriate and calm way. To that, I took it well and the lecture achieved what it was supposed to. The other times, it was in response to me not just adjusting my own medications, but even quitting one (or more). That sparked a much angrier reaction, which I now feel was also justified. Plus, I think it was more stemming from caring. Yes, some docs need not (or should not) respond angrily, but sometimes it can be a "jolt" of sorts. What I'm willing to take from my current long-time psychiatrist may not be what I'd take from another. And it goes the other way, too.

Interesting point.

Please do talk to your doctor about how you feel. I wouldn't cancel the appointment. Talking, not running away, is something we must all do to help ourselves and others. It could help your psychiatrist.

Sticking with this and dialoging with her seems to be what all of you who have so kindly replied to me think I should do. I'm really nervous. I guess the worst that can happen is that I tell her I'll need to work on this with my therapist on Monday.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, Sunflower123, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
Sunflower123, Wild Coyote