Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,275 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 05, 2019 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I think they could get rid of you if they wanted to. I am not sure a sleep disorder is a protected disability.
I just want to clarify that there is no such thing as a "protected disability" in the US. Disability is defined very broadly that it is something that inhibits your ability in a significant way to work and live. A sleep disorder absolutely can be a disability under the law in the US. But your doctor would have to state that it is severe enough to be considered disabling by the legal definition.

Any condition or disorder can rise to the status of disability and the ADA does not define any specific disorders that are included or excluded. So NO, they can't get rid of you bc of a sleep disorder, but unless you've disclosed the disorder and asked for accommodations officially at work, then technically they don't know and they can fire you for bad behavior if it's affecting your behavior.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist, Jersey 4, sarahsweets, winter4me