View Single Post
Anonymous42119

Default Oct 05, 2019 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Banana View Post
That's the bad thing about online forums,people giving their own thoughts and opinions without really knowing for sure.

That's something I have noticed on other forums,specifically dissociative disorder ones,other members making nearly everything about alters.Any thoughts,moods,impulses,urges,whatever, other members try to convince them it's not normal and is an alter or part of DID or other dissociative disorders.

On some forums you can read where new members are questioning whether they have alters and within a very short time they're discussing their alters and systems.And then they proceed to convince others that they too have alters.

Pretty scary if you ask me
@Betty_Banana - I remember earlier on in my treatment over a decade ago, I was bombarded with all of the different types of alters, as opposed to me being authentic me with parts and dissociative episodes (lost time). I didn't want to be influenced, but at the time I was, to be honest. I even was one of the ones who probably joined in and said a bunch of things you had mentioned. I can be guilty of that, even though I don't know anything other than my own experiences.

I agree with you. It's really important to speak with a therapist about these things - and a really good trained one at that.

It's hard to not share our thoughts on what someone else might be going through with their different parts or systems, or with their symptoms that are similar to DID, so I suppose that comes with the territory of being online and having similar symptoms.

It's scary to read a bunch of peer-reviewed articles as well, not just what information is provided in support groups. DID, its treatments, and its various diagnoses offered over the years are enough to bring about more confusion, fear, and stigma.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Betty_Banana