View Single Post
Anonymous42119

Default Oct 07, 2019 at 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyjay View Post
Thanks so much for this post, lillib. I can relate to so much of it.
Denial and doubt are old friends.
Shifting experiences - from full amnesiac blackouts to co-con to slipping and sliding states of self - are confusing realities that muddy the waters of denial too.
Labels require definitive yes or no criteria and I see so many people get hung up on which label fits. When I think the reality is more like a fluctuating spectrum.
Perhaps one day the dissociative disorder criteria will shift to be more like the new understanding of autism spectrum disorders. They used to have Aspergers and then Autism as separate diagnoses, much like OSDD and DID. Now they recognise that both Aspergers and Autism are on the same spectrum, and there is little point in separating the two. Just like OSDD and DID (and PTSD and complex PTSD) are on the same spectrum with the same causes and the same treatments. There is little value in chasing a precise label. The problem is not a label, the problems are the result of trauma. You treat the traumatic sequelae regardless of what letters are deemed to fit on the box.
@Amyjay ...thank you!

On a scientific note, there may be domains of the different trauma diagnoses that are not on the continuum, as I think there is a statistical/mathematical requirement that needs to be met before they can deem a "trauma spectrum disorder". There are strange differences between ptsd and dissociative fugue states and DID. The symptomatic differences make it hard to quantify into a spectrum.

But you are right about what you said about labels and trauma. Trauma is the very thing that needs tk be addressed and treated in any disorder stemming from trauma. Treating symptoms without addressing the trauma is like giving a cancer patient pain meds without chemo or surgery.

I just want to heal. And I want to face my fears about integrating fully.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Amyjay, kbonnieboo