Grand Poohbah

Member Since Sep 2013
2,626 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 07, 2019 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieSwimsOn View Post
I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative but I am curious, isn't that kind of blaming the client? As far as being willing to put up with it? It seems an extremely fine line between choosing of free will to put up with something vs because of whatever reason, feeling like you don't have a choice/that's just how it is or "I don't deserve better" or what have you. Again I'm not trying to be a jerk just honestly curious.
I think Stopdog is referring to abuse dynamics whereby some trauma survivors will react through submission / fawn / freeze response. Not everyone leaves abusive relationships; therapists know this and recognize how to exploit and groom vulnerable survivors in order to get their own needs met. Add to this that many survivors of abuse think that abusive behavior is normal. Effective and ethical therapists are supposed to model healthy relationships; unfortunately this is not always the case. Clients will stay despite the red flags because they know no different, expect no different, believe they don't deserve better and or are caught in trauma bonding. Some therapists will meet client needs long enough to meet their own needs, and in some cases they might even know how to manipulate a client into pure submission and compliance through knowing a clients vulnerabilities.

In short, clients are rarely, if ever, at fault! It is a power imbalance that leans one way - the moment a therapist abuses their power - they are wholly at fault irregardless of circumstances.

Thanks,
HD7970ghz

"don't put all your eggs - in one basket"
"promote pleasure - prevent pain"
"with change - comes loss"
HD7970GHZ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SalingerEsme

Thanks for this!
here today, koru_kiwi, Out There, SalingerEsme, SlumberKitty, Xynesthesia2