View Single Post
Anonymous42119

Default Oct 08, 2019 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Hey @lillib

How to Be a Good Writer
I am an English Lit graduate and if you need an opinion or something and you want to pm me feel free. I often help people with their school work and papers. I am not an official tutor but I should be. I googled something and found this link but I havent read it yet because I am on my way to the shower. I hope it helps I just wanted to write a quick reply.

@sarahsweets - Thank you! I have not yet figured out how to use this PsychCentral site, but I can use all the help I can get! I like to edit my own papers, so I save the editing of grammar as the very last step. That said, I forgot a lot of the rules of grammar, and I need to build my vocabulary. I also want to study for the GRE (though it isn't needed for my Master's of Science program I am applying to, but it will be needed in about 4 years when I apply to PhD programs in criminal justice or interdisciplinary studies - that is, if my health doesn't take a toll). Either way, I want to enrich my life with learning how to write better. I've read so many peer-review journals but very few fiction books. The writing styles are all different, but the ways in which the authors utilize words are impressive. Even when I read posts on PsychCentral, I'm impressed by the writing of professionals. I write so basic. I don't know how I got straight-A's as an undergrad, or how I got to publish a peer-reviewed paper from my honor's thesis, but I can only assume that it was the help of others, not my writing alone. I've read so many of my peers' papers, and they wrote way better than me (even though some didn't earn the high grades I had earned, which baffled me).

My words are so simple, with the exception of the jargon I know. I want to learn more strong verbs, better transitions, better nouns, and how to write more succinctly. I'm so verbose, and that is not good. I like details so much that I forget that people only want to see the forest - the big picture.

Anyway, I'll PM you - probably next month because my energy levels are being used up this month with my my new VA appointments, my interview on Thursday with a criminal justice professor, and with really wanting to get used to being in this online support group - which has helped me adjust better to my new living arrangements.

I probably won't need help with my papers, since I want to really master those on my own and show my own work without any influences other than the professors I'd be working with (hopefully next year - Fall 2020, or no later than Spring 2021). But, what I do need help with is practice exercises such as: Write a sentence with X, Y, and Z. Then you'd correct it and suggest changing it, or suggest that I write it in a different way to see the difference in styles, etc.

Also, I don't mind constructive criticism. If I babble on, you can always "out me" and suggest an alternative way of writing more succinctly, or omitting things that I really didn't need to say, or showing me where my wordiness is. Those are critical flaws I have, and I'm okay with criticism and correction.

Thank you so much for offering!

I hope you have a very relaxing and fun day today! I will definitely PM you by next month, if not sooner if I can.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote