View Single Post
Anonymous42119

Default Oct 12, 2019 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRags View Post
I left my home city and moved to my current town because I was the victim of a home invasion. I was living in a ghetto and it was bad news. Like, really bad.

Close to everything I owned was stolen as I stood there, not daring to say or do anything...just watching my possessions being dumped, grabbed, carried out. Everything from my wedding dress to lovely bookcases that had been given to me. Thank the universe that my pets weren't hurt. And for some odd reason, the people who broke into my home didn't take my computer.

After they left I grabbed my pets, boxed them up (the mammals), stuffed caged animals into my car. I filled 2 large lawn bags with anything I could grab that hadn't been taken (which wasn't much). Jammed my desktop into my car and took off. I was a state of terror, but I made it to a town where I had a relative I could stay with until I found my own place.

Anyway, I know that people in the "rescue" fields experience some God-awful things and that most of them develop PTSD pretty quickly. But they are trained, they know what they're getting into, they are paid for their work, and they have each other. It is for those reasons that I separate victims from people employed in certain fields.
@BethRags

I am so so soooo sorry you went through that. You went through multiple traumas during that home invasion in a bad neighborhood. I'm glad you were able to save your fur babies (pets). Gosh, I'd be in a state of terror if I were in that situation, and then some.

You make an excellent point about the difference between trained professionals and victims. The main differences you point out have to do with what I think are "protective factors." Police, EMT, fire, rescue, therapists - they're all trained to deal with many different traumatic experiences they witness (or sometimes encounter directly), and they have the protective factors of not only their training, but each other, their job titles and reputation that goes with them, their social capital, their monetary benefits, etc. - all of which could be considered "capable guardianship" in criminal justice terms.
Conversely, victims seemingly lack those protective factors (capable guardianship) against victimization; they lack the social support before and after traumas, and they lack the training (most notably self-defense that is often suggested to sexual assault victims only after their traumatic experiences, so as to prevent revictimization, polyvictimization, etc.), the financial resources to deal with monetary losses, and their reputation based on their newfound title "victim."

Notwithstanding your excellent points, both groups can experience post-traumatic symptoms and behavioral problems. Additionally, there are many veterans who have been sexually or physically assaulted, despite their "defense training," so the mere suggestion of self-defense courses for victims of sexual or physical assault negates those who have already been trained but were overpowered, or those who are physically disabled and therefore cannot fight for themselves. Again, it's easy to place responsibility on the victim and victim-blame than it is to blame the offender(s) who started this trauma to begin with. It's also easy to target victims to change the "formula for victimization, making it less of an option for predatory offenders" in terms of prevention than it is to target offenders to change their "formulas for offending." Both parties can suffer from the same symptoms, and therefore both parties need help to manage or relieve their symptoms, even though one party has more support than the other.

It's the support for the victims that I'm advocating for!

I never held a professional title, but I was trained in police and the military, and that did not stop me from becoming mentally disabled, overpowered by stronger others, or losing my own reputation and therefore social capital. It didn't stop me (and many veterans) from becoming homeless at one point in our lives due to a lack of social support and/or understanding that would have protected us from homelessness. There are many police officers (my half-sister's fiance for one, who was an African American, full-time police officer) who were so affected by the continuous traumatic stress that they either quit or got fired from their jobs as law enforcement professionals - some of whom are actually incarcerated themselves for criminal behavioral problems that led to poor conduct on the job (e.g., police brutality, police harassment, an officer-involved-shooting gone wrong, etc.). Despite criminal behaviors, some offenders were once victims (also termed "victim-offenders," based on the theory of the victim-offender overlap), and victimization is a form of trauma; their unresolved traumas coupled with other factors (not trauma alone, and not a serious mental illness alone, but other factors such as learning deviancy, being involved in too many moral injuries) led to more externalizing, behavioral problems than other victims who did not act out criminally. There's a lot o research on all of this, and it doesn't mean that one party should be treated better than the other party, even though systemic problems show that some parties are treated better than other parties, especially in terms of access to mental health care, social stigma preventing mental health treatment as well as the protective factors of social support.

That said, I do feel more support is needed for victims because they often lack so many resources that make their recovery from a traumatic situation harder, such as what you had described in your own life.

I'm so sorry.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Purple,Violet,Blue