Elder

Member Since Jul 2017
9,930 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 12, 2019 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access Denied View Post
A few years ago we went to Greece for a holiday and there, one sunny afternoon we saw hornets buzzing past our wide patio. These were far bigger than your average wasp. The largest we saw was close to 2 inches/5cm!

I had a plate of steak and chips and a few salad leaves, and one of those hornets landed quite gracefully onto my piece of meat. While we kept very still, I watched as it literally gnawed a piece of meat beofre tucking it beneath its legs and flying off. The hornet returned to take another little piece, about 4mm I reckon and its thirdf return, the hornet cleverly cut a circle of spinach leaf, curled it up like carpet beneath its legs and took off!

It was a WOW moment! Just beyond our patio wall was the hornets' flight path. Thankfully not inside it. It was a fascinating watch, but we never discoved their nest. Probably up in the hills of Koss, we thought.
@Access Denied

Since we're talking about humongous flying things, we lived in Venezuela for several years during the 1970s. One "tara bruja" or Black Witch Moth got inside the house. They are 17 CM or a good 6 inches wing span. I remember it being much bigger than that, LOL They don't bite, but they look so much like bats that they are creepy. I never want to meet another.

"Love you.
Take care of you.

Be true to you.

You are the only you,
you will ever know the best.

Reach for YOUR stars.

You can reach them better
than anyone else ever can."

Landon Clary Eason
Grateful Sobriety Fangirl Since 11-16-2007

Happy Sober Crafter
happysobercrafter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote