Grand Poohbah

Member Since May 2019
6,984 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 12, 2019 at 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillib View Post
When I was discharged, I felt ashamed and didn't know what was going on with me. I wasn't diagnosed with any mental disorders while in service or even upon discharge, so it took a little while for me to get a PTSD diagnosis in the civilian world. Between discharge and my PTSD diagnosis, I was in and out of emergency room all the time. I had difficulties with my old high school friends. I wound up being in an abusive relationship with a very insecure but cruel man, and I couldn't even fight back. The strong person I knew was gone - forever. All the training I went through - gone, too. It's as if part of my memories and who I was back then were erased, with only fragmented memories remaining to keep me somewhat sane. I couldn't even face my family upon discharge.

For fear of many years prior to my enrolling in the VA system, I felt I couldn't say anything about my military traumas at all, so I maintained "confidentiality" while attributing my symptoms to childhood traumas, and sometimes even pretending that my military traumas were my childhood traumas, out of avoiding disclosing my military traumas. I know that sounds weird, but I felt scared to say anything negative about the military I served under. So I maintained secrecy and confused both my therapists and myself all those years. I feel as though civilian therapists NEED to be trained to understand military traumas so that when they have a veteran client, they are aware of their adulthood traumas and not just their childhood traumas. It's just different. Thankfully, the VA finally relieved me of my concerns of disclosing my military traumas in treatment, though I cannot remember them all, and I still have a very hard time discussing my military traumas. I can discuss my adulthood traumas and childhood traumas relatively okay, but it's harder for me to discuss my military traumas for some reason.
I and so many are "guilty" of having things in our life that have and do cause us pain but we are unwilling to admit for various reasons. In the case of the military -- reporting a crime or even just complaining can jeopardize your career (the collectivist mindset as you say). My POV is that your fear of authority figures is based on reality.

When we are unable to talk about things as they are occurring because it is too hard to face, articulate, etc--that might make it harder to figure out later. Though I do think you are posting so much right now because you are ready/wanting to process some stuff. Eventually, you will have your fill of it and post less. I have noticed that our society tells us we must be optimistic but some things in this world just really suck and who wants to dwell on that! Sometimes we have to distract, bury and dissassociate in order to handle things! It's OK. Eventually, you will feel stronger because all this posting will help (or will just tire of it) but, also, remember to take breaks too!!!
[/QUOTE]
TunedOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous42119