View Single Post
Ember_42

Member Since Nov 2016
62 hugs
given
Default Oct 13, 2019 at 03:43 AM

I've gone through lots of medication changes but I don't think most of them have been "bravely, full of hope, and uncomplaining". I get a lot of severe and uncommon side effects, lots of meds that don't work like they do on the majority of people, even a few severe allergic reactions, so for me, med changes are extremely anxiety-inducing. I desperately want the new medication to help, to fix me, but I'm always so worried about how I'll react to it physically as well as mentally/emotionally. And I probably complain a fair amount to family and friends.

I read up on withdrawal symptoms and also what I can expect from the new meds. (crazymeds.net is a favorite resource) Then I have to kind of let that go to a certain extent because there's no way to know which symptoms I might actually experience. Maybe none at all. Expect the best but prepare for the worst, you know?

I do breathing exercises and meditation to help with the anxiety. When I'm in panic mode meditation is difficult so I've found that Buddhist chants work well for me because they're something for me to concentrate on. First the words, then the pace and rhythm of the chant. Any kind of personal, religious or secular, mantra could work.

For the breathing exercises there are a couple that work best for me. There's an app (can't remember what it's called but there are probably several similar) that is basically a simple counter. Press it and hold while you breathe in. Then again as you breathe out with the goal of matching the first amount of time. Keep repeating until the panic recedes. The other is just to breathe in for a count of 4. Hold your breath for a count of 4. Breathe out for a count of 4. Repeat. Anything that makes you focus on your breathing, consciously slowing it, let's you get out of the panicky or even just really anxious, mental state.

Walking is great. I used to swim a lot when I had better access to a pool. Anything to burn off some of that nervous energy. If you can do it with a buddy that's even better.

I love those adult coloring books and find them very calming. Anything creative and simple that keeps my hands busy and my mind off my fears and agitation. Calm distractions.

A close friend of mine has found it very helpful to put a rubber band on her wrist. Each time she starts to get anxious or panicky she snaps it against her skin. It's just a tiny disruption of the thought patterns and a quick focus on the physical instead of the mental.

Hopefully, something in all that will help you a little. Go easy on yourself. It's a stressful process so try to make room in your schedule for little breaks throughout the day, even for just a few minutes, to find a bit of calm and self-care.
Ember_42 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist, MuseumGhost

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist, MuseumGhost