Anonymous42019
Magnate

Member Since Sep 2019
3,106 hugs
given
Default Oct 14, 2019 at 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilloche View Post
Wow - your homes sound incredible! I'm not sure how much I followed correctly, as I don't know a lot about architecture/construction, but what a project! Do you have any idea how long it will take to complete?

And turrets - how magnificent! Will there be space/stairs inside to climb to the top and look out?

And... umm... it sure sounds like a castle (with the turrets and everything!) Please, please, please tell me you are turning your fabulous family homes in to a castle of some sort. (Living in a castle used to be a dream of mine - so I'm grinning just picturing it!)

Good luck with the renovations!
I've just had two patient cancellations so will have to be quick!

To have a castle style would be out of keeping with the general property layout along our coastline, so to give you an idea, here are some images which our architect approved.

Terracotta barrel tiles are hand made, and expensive, but highly robust from being baked in a furnace. Each is about 2.5 in thick. In the Algarve where they are manufactured, the tiles can withstand very large hail.

Ours wouldbe in keeping with the coastal properties either side of us, so the 'turret' design would not resemble a castle. Our architect also has planning permission to use these same tiles either side, so our property would have these tiles throughout and look lovely.

Down the road are similar tiled properties, but these are either glazed sea grean, or glazed pale blue. Very arractive, but only suiting the style of those properties, whereas our property has pale cream masonry paint that pleasingly matches the other coastline properties along our road.

Our main house would be tiled with those barrel tiles, but in the sping of 2020, so leaving the turret to be built this autumn and completed before winter. Our architect estimates 3 months, but that will depend on our coastal weather. Still, our renos will be less inconvenient now our tourist season is finished for the year.

Thank you so much for your interest.

Have a good day yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg algarve-turret-barrel-tiles.jpg (102.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg algarve-turret-interior-1.jpg (96.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg algarve-turret-interior-2.jpg (99.0 KB, 2 views)
Anonymous42019 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
guilloche