View Single Post
WastingAsparagus
Student of Life

Member Since Mar 2014
2,911 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM

Hi, I understand the feeling; but, to put you more at ease, you could tell yourself that the med you're transitioning to will have similar effects as the Effexor does. And so, if the titration of each medicine is properly executed, you won't have anything to worry about.

I do have some questions though.

Does your doctor understand that using Lexapro and Effexor together can potentially cause serotonin syndrome? I am asking because it is a possibility. I hope your doctor knows how to taper the medications correctly so that you don't experience this serious reaction. You also said you're on a high dose of Effexor so this is even more important.

Are you tapering off of the Effexor at a gradual rate? This is really important so you don't experience serious withdrawal effects!

Also, you should probably make sure you're going up on the Lexapro at a rate that's consistent with the rate you're going down on the Effexor.

Also, Effexor XR is an SNRI, while Lexapro is an SSRI, both of which are medical lingo. But Effexor generally has a stronger effect against depression, (in my experience--I'm not speaking for everyone here).

Have you thought of any other antidepressants other than Lexapro to switch to?

I think asking these questions of your doctor may be important in putting you at ease. Obviously, you don't have to ask them of you doctor if you already feel comfortable with the med switch. I just give them as a general guide.

Best of luck!
WastingAsparagus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist, MuseumGhost