Member Since Jun 2009
1,318 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 14, 2019 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access Denied View Post
Hi @LiteraryLark

I am saddened you lost your home to that dreadful Tubbs Wildfire, but hope you are settled now. Your topic is most interesting and I hope to share...please excuse me as I write from memory as I've not long been back after a very long day!

My late father was into survival big time and left me a considerable amount of gear: maxpedition remora gearslinger, their multi-purpose bag, his Peli 1510 wheelie case with foam interior and lid organiser, but my preteen daughter is the firebrand for survivalist interests and is far more knowledgeable. A skilled archer using a longbow, she's the group leader and knows more than her older peers. She's almost 12, and though tough for her age, has a loving heart and acts kindly towards her outdoor enthusiast group. I am so proud of her. Talking about groups online a mo, she's a member of plainsman's cabin discussion areas. They are a good bunch of men and I trust them with her. They discuss EDC and survivalist topics that may interest you.

During her time away my daughter has been well taught how to forage. She knows what to eat and what to leave well alone, can set snares for rabbits, skin and cook them. Her instructor is a retired SAS man who puts on survivalist courses with his wife and helpers specially for young people. My daughter has been doing these survivalist courses during school holidays since she was 9 years old. She wants to teach English and is top in her homeschooling class.

For her 12th birthday soon I bought her Peli's U140 Urban Elite backpack and got it for almost half price. The backpack has watertight compartments for her laptop and phone. But she is forbidden to carry knives unless under strict supervision during her survivalist courses. The UK has very strict laws for knife carry (18+). Incidentally, the course and instructors are fully insured and are police checked.

If I wasn't so tired by the weekend, I'd get into her outdoor interest more seriously. The only tools I have is an old leatherman surge that was Dad's, and a recent purchase, an MRF 60+ card tool 3.0 in 420C hardened stainless steel which has been invaluable. Razor sharp, the tool card has its own leather pouch and is carried in my maxpedition CMC wallet along with banknotes, cards and my doctor's licence. My doctor's case contents I'll explain more shortly.

I've suffered PTSD having narrowly escaped with my life from a terrible car accident months ago when a driver pulled out, and I ploughed into him doing 40 mph in a 60 limit. My sportscar's airbags saved me, but I got badly bruised, had whiplash and broken ribs. After being discharged from hospital I had post-accident counselling, but it still wasn't enough. I decided buying a Land Rover truck, a Defender with roll cage and a host of protective gear including a periscope for water wading for road floods. Frankly I feel much more secure in it than any previous vehicle, so the PTSD has gone. Though I consider myself fortunate, I have been through severe trauma and received much support from my medical colleagues.

I have a comprehensive first aid bag. My advice with these is never to buy them, but make up your own first aid kit because it's far cheaper. As for my doctor's case, it's dad's lockable rugged old peli 1510, a recently bought nitecore 4,000 lumen flashlight and a Damascus steel framelock folder among urgent medicines, my stethoscope and sphygmomanometer (blood pressure monitor), prescripton pads, hospital admin forms, sickness certificates, accounting forms, dangerous drugs record book, important phone numbers, pens, emergency medicine, ophthalmoscope, leatherman raptor shears - those can even cut rings off fingers and are great tools for first responders - recommended. In addition to my smartphone, I also carry my Inmarsat satphone for medical emergencies should the internet be weak in some areas. Sometimes I get called out to road accidents, and that is when I really have to gather my toughness and go do. The most hardest part is when children and animals are involved in road accidents. I'd rather not dwell on that except say that doctors do cry.

I'm very admiring of Canadians' and Americans' survivalist awareness. It galls me how relaxed people are in my country, but would imagine those living far up in the Scottish Highlands to be more survivalist-aware, and even those living in the Inner and Outer Hebrides such as Islay, South UIst, Shetland, Orkney, and the Isle of Iona.

I'm shocked my people don't prepare for disasters, but it's only when someone bring awareness to the population. I think I may contact our local Member of Parliament to raise this in The House of Commons. Except whether our present government will listen is another story.
Your daughter sounds very smart and tough! How did she get into survivalism? Your story was very fascinating. Thank you for sharing!
LiteraryLark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous42119, bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
Anonymous42019