View Single Post
Anonymous42119

Default Oct 14, 2019 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
I don't really know anything about this. But I have sometimes thought there was a time, when I was younger, I might have been diagnosed as having BPD. (But then as I've read just a bit about bipolar 2, I can see where I could conceivably be diagnosed with that as well.) I'm also confident I could make a good case for having cPTSD as well. So it does seem as though, at least to me, there's a thin line that separates these diagnoses.
@Skeezyks

In the U.S., they still don't recognize CPTSD as a separate disorder from PTSD, and most researchers assert that there is too much overlap between PTSD and BPD. So, many clinicians continue to diagnose both PTSD and BPD.

Any personality disorder (PD) should only be diagnosed among adults 18 and over. Children do not get such diagnoses.

That said, there is new research on developmental trauma (I think by Drs. Ford, van der Kolk, and colleagues) that are looking to propose "Developmental Trauma Disorder" (DTD), perhaps in place of conduct disorder (CD) and/or oppositional defiant disorder (ODD), which are typically the diagnoses that youth under the age of 18 receive long before a personality disorder is assessed after 18, or, in other countries, CPTSD.

Some practitioners today will differentiate CPTSD from BPD, but it's not recognized in the DSM.

Here are some links for DTD:

http://www.traumacenter.org/products...a_Disorder.pdf

Google Scholar

Addressing these issues earlier on can help with preventing a PD, I think. If not, it can detect the pathways of a PD in adulthood, and perhaps offer treatments to manage the symptoms affiliated with these disorders.

More recently, The Guardian published an article about the possible misdiagnoses of BPD among sexual abuse survivors, who are most notably women, which speaks to gender disparities, continued gender-based stigma against females, and the continued problems surrounding victim-blaming, victim-shaming, victim-labeling, rape culture, and more. Here's that article: Are sexual abuse victims being diagnosed with a mental disorder they don't have? | Life and style | The Guardian
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
HD7970GHZ, Skeezyks