Crowned "The Good Witch"

Member Since Jun 2009
1,318 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 14, 2019 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
I am so sorry about your unbelievably hard and scary experience with the fire, Lark. How awful! I hereby freely admit that I am totally unprepared for any kind of major disaster. I have nothing stored away. No alternate source of shelter. I've done nothing. My only means of transport are my feet and a fast bike, neither very practical in case of actual catastrophe.

We are overdo here in my town for a magnitude 9 or greater earthquake. Experts say it is a certainty. There will be a cataclysmic tsunami at the coast, but that's an hour away and won't affect us directly here. That's what I worry about most, earthquake. Mt. Hood, which is an hour drive to the east, could certainly erupt, and that would be a disaster for Portland, but no-one thinks that is imminent. So we're looking at a devastating earthquake.

I have actually thought about this. I am in a brand-new construction building, which is up to quake code, so that's good. I need to somehow find a way to put away several days of food and water, at the very least. It will be days and days and days before any kind of services are restored here. Other than volcanoes, this city has little experience with big-time disasters. They aren't gonna know what they're doing. So, it's going to be bad. Puerto Rico bad.

Guess I better get my butt in gear.
I am located on the Oregon Coast. My house is above the tsunami lines but we are anticipating a major earthquake off the coast as well.

It's worth the expenses to prepare not only in supplies but in evacuation routes as well. When the fire hit we traveled a couple hours away and stayed in a hotel for a few days before coming to live with my grandparents. We were lucky enough to have a host with multiple bedrooms. Thousands of people lived in shelters on cots or in tents for months. We were blessed to have a roof over our heads.

Do you not drive? I'd definitely prep the house the best you can. Flashlights, lots of batteries, gallons of water, camping stoves, cans of food, toilet paper, first aid....there's so much you can do to prepare, and a lot of it is just basic stuff.
LiteraryLark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous42119, bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist