LilyMop
Veteran Member

Member Since Sep 2019
81 hugs
given
Default Oct 15, 2019 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoretical View Post
No, and I don't ignore rude comments, especially not those directed at me. But I have a tendency to take it way too far, stir pots and push buttons. Lately, I've just been trying to be less mean with the retorts and more diplomatic in arguments. I still think it's a good tool to have, but maybe it isn't the best one for this situation. Or maybe I'm just not any good at it.

I can relate to this. When I was working really hard to stop letting people walk on me I started blasting them instead. I went from one extreme to the other. It took a lot of practice to find a better balance. I still have a tendency to speak up more than I should because I never want to be a doormat again. Maybe you’ll be opposite of me and you’ll have to fight the tendency to be too quiet for fear of going back to your old more outspoken ways. Well I commend you for working on this. It’s hard to take an honest look at ourselves and make a change in our behavior. I encourage you to just keep practicing. It will become more natural to politely make your point versus making the cutting remarks, etc. that you are skilled at doing. I think you can do this but I think you’ll have to put up with something uncomfortable situations for yourself until you find a level of communication you want. Let us know how it goes.
LilyMop is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote