View Single Post
MuseumGhost
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2012
12.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 16, 2019 at 02:50 PM

Thanks ski bum and peacelizard. I will answer you both, here.

The Effexor IS being tapered off, slowly. I have a period of a week-to-2 weeks wherein it is my decision (upon the cessation of withdrawal symptoms) to begin to introduce the Lexapro, at a very very small dose. There is enough of a window there to protect my from serotonin syndrome, I believe.

When I made suggestions as to what I would like to take, based on the reading I had done, I got a blank stare from my doctor (not unusual at this office) and was told she preferred Lexapro to the other options I had in mind. That was the end of that conversation. (I had the same experience when I was first diagnosed. My doctor then was ridiculously cold, humorless, and detached, and in no mood for listening to input from me on anything. Just letting you know, I've historically had very little say in my treatment.)

I am switching to an SNRI because there is a much lower chance of hair loss as a side effect. The hair thinning situation has really sent me to hell, frankly, just as I had been starting to make some real gains with my social anxiety and my confidence, overall. (As I mentioned above, it sped-up when I increased my Effexor dose ---hardly an encouraging thing.)

I have made a lot of improvements over the last 12 years, since being diagnosed. The Effexor did a lot of good. But now, I need to give different meds a chance because I've plateaued, and am not getting any more benefits from the Effexor, at all. Also, any improvements I did see were frustratingly glacial in their arrival, at best.

I'm on day 4 of the weaning off period, and so far, I'm doing alright. Not too much trouble, knock on wood. Only mild but manageable headaches, the mildest and very short-lived moments of nausea, and wooziness. No brain zaps, and no flu-like symptoms, yet!, and nothing like what I was prepared for.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed. You're all very kind.

This will all become part of a medication journal, at some point.
MuseumGhost is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
WastingAsparagus