Veteran Member

Member Since Mar 2019
55 hugs
given
Default Oct 16, 2019 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillib View Post
@Xynesthesia2

Interviewer bias can also factor into the equation.

But yes, some of the psychometrics fail to look at etiologies, differential diagnoses, historical accounts (not just today's psychosocial history), substance-use, interactions with substances, interactions with medications, interactions with pain management or physiological issues (including aging), etc.

Then there's the influence of insurance coverage.
Definitely about the interviewer bias and also self-testing is not the most accurate method. I've done so many psych tests that I can often see how the tests work behind the questions, and that can make answers biased, especially if I am avoiding something. Not with actual tests, but I also had a T who was extremely prone to projections to the point of sometimes even making up things about me that I never said or experienced.

Physical conditions can sometimes really distort psych assessments, I always like to see when psych professionals inquire about physical health of a client and sometimes want the client to have a physical before they would provide treatment for certain psychological disorders. Not very many Ts do this unfortunately, in my experience... psychiatrists more often do but they also often prescribe medications too easily, without thorough evaluation.

I forgot to answer what kinds of tests - all sorts of psychiatric screening, diagnostic tests and personality tests. I liked some of the personality tests a lot and learned from them important patterns about myself, but those are exactly the kinds of tests that became very predictable after a while of doing many and I don't find them all that useful now because I've worked so much on myself. Answering many questions considering the original state before all the conscious work and self-awareness is no longer truthful, but responding with the more developed views and behaviors does not lead to an accurate picture of my personality structure either. Very insightful when I was younger though.
Xynesthesia2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous42119, SlumberKitty