Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2017
9,711 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 17, 2019 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LundiHvalursson View Post
In my own personal experiences in all my 29 years, 11 months and 3 weeks on this earth, I would estimate that over 80% (a quite conservative estimate at that) of people, both male and female, who upon knowing that I am a virgin at an older age, they have reacted negatively to very negatively. Quite a few have reacted extremely negatively, as in laughing out loud, giving me the middle finger, calling me a virgin loser, saying that I will be single for the rest of my life, women calling me asexual or mentally ill, I have heard and seen it all. I expect people to act like this to me now. It is just recently that I learnt how to be content with how I am as a person and ignore what those people have said about me.

If I included people who seemed like they did not care but then made comments about my being odd or weird, the estimate would be over 90%. It is not just a few people, but I would say the vast majority of people. Of course by logical deduction, this most likely means that I am living in a place full of judgemental people.

What makes me happy is probably hard to define. I like my interests in sciences and mathematics, and my serious hobbies like chess and foreign languages. I plan to study medicine in Europe despite having 3 STEM degrees, and I have a one-track mind in being studious and academic. Perhaps this turns the women off back home where I live. I am not seen as a normal person for these interests, and I can barely make male friends as well, because they consider me too odd, and even way odder due to the virgin/single issue.

I think that you are also asking if I am tying happiness to relationship/sex. In a way, yes. It is certainly not the key factor to determine happiness though. It is a part of it, probably something like 20%. I feel like something is missing, quite lonely.

As an example, I am on holiday right now. I was in Germany for a week, and I just arrived a few hours ago in Portugal. As a sole traveller, I like to see dramatic landscapes and views from the city. Tomorrow I plan to do some photos from the city hills overlooking the Atlantic Ocean during sunset. I shall undoubtedly see hordes of couples there taking selfies. I have been in these situations before. Romantic view and romantic setting. Yet I am alone, no one to talk to but myself. The fact that this scene keeps repeating itself over and over in my life up to age 29, at just one week from my 30th birthday, makes me depressed instead of just feeling ambivalent.

So what I mean is, having a girlfriend and all of the stuff that comes with relationships would brighten up life at least a little bit. My entire life does not hinge on relationships, but it certainly would improve it.
I'm sorry that you are struggling right now! I myself have been shame because I wasn't dating anyone. The one guy who did go out with me? Went out with me on a dare to see if I was straight.

Hugs from:
Lilly2