View Single Post
BipolaRNurse
Neurodivergent

Member Since Mar 2012
3,864 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 19, 2019 at 11:41 PM

It was ridiculous, really. I was at church and slipped on some wet bricks outside, and I almost fell but I was able to roll it and stay on my feet. It just felt like a dull ache, until I put my weight on it and YOW!!!! But, thinking I'd only sprained it, I bought an ankle brace and limped around miserably for a couple of weeks.

I kept waiting for it to get better, as sprains usually do, but it just kept getting worse and worse. It felt like somebody was drilling through the bone with a white-hot icepick. My NP sent me for X-rays, which didn't show a break but did show some bone spurs. Then I went to urgent care because I couldn't stand it any longer, but of course nobody would give me pain meds because I happen to have Klonopin on my med list. (Check out my rant on bpnurse.com.) But I did get a nice walking cast and a referral to a podiatrist, and with the help of the boot and eating Aleve and Tylenol like Skittles, I managed to make it to my appointment without losing my mind.

Podiatrist is a nice guy, and the first thing he wanted to do was to get another set of X-rays. Sure enough, the break was obvious on this second round of imaging...even I could see it when the doc showed me. He was going to cast it but thought the walking boot would suffice if I kept it on 24/7 and didn't put my full weight on the ankle. He didn't give me narcotics either, of course, but the pain has gotten somewhat better (it's down to a dull roar most of the time) and I'm to keep the boot on at least for another five weeks if not longer.

My history of healing lower-extremity injuries isn't good because I have poor circulation, so I'm not optimistic about it fixing itself quickly. It's getting to be a real drag, and I am not patient when it comes to my own medical calamities. (I'm great with others who are hurting, though, which is why I was a good nurse.) But I'll do what I have to do, even if I'm out of sorts and hating life on the sofa. Thanks for passing me a little cheese with my whine.

Mild cognitive impairment

RX:
Celexa 20 mg
Gabapentin 1200 mg
Geodon 40 mg AM, 60 mg PM
Klonopin 0.5 mg PRN
Lamictal 500 mg
Levothyroxine 125 mcg (rx'd for depression)
Trazodone 150 mg
Zyprexa 7.5 mg

Please come visit me @ http://bpnurse.com
BipolaRNurse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, Anonymous46341, BeyondtheRainbow, bizi, bpcyclist, cashart10, Fuzzybear, Innerzone, Nammu, Polibeth, rwwff, Sunflower123, unaluna, Unrigged64072835, wildflowerchild25

Thanks for this!
bizi, bpcyclist, Polibeth