Thread: Memories
View Single Post
Anonymous42119

Default Oct 21, 2019 at 12:21 AM

@HALLIEBETH87

(((safe hugs)))

I'm so sorry you are dealing with those traumatic memories. You deserved so much better than that as a child/teen.

When I was in trauma treatment for recurring memories, the therapist would often say that the memories keep coming back because I didn't acknowledge those memories, process them in a safe way, and counter the negative thoughts I had from those traumatic memories. I internalized the memories I had as "truths" about myself, instead of seeing them as betrayal wounds that never should have been. I thought I was bad, ugly, hopeless, worthless - until I started telling myself affirmations like "I'm a good person. I deserved a better upbringing. I deserve to feel safe. I'm beautiful in my own way. I have hope. I am worthy. There's so much I can enjoy in life, but I'm okay feeling sad right now about the things that happened to me." It's best to process these things with a therapist who can validate your feelings, hear your trauma story, validate your existence, redirect your thoughts about yourself to more positive self-talk, and walk with you in your grief over the losses that stemmed from those traumas, such as a lost childhood, a lost sense of self, a lost identity, a lost relationship with a parent who was supposed to nurture you and accept you no matter what.

(((safe hugs))) I'm sorry if anything I shared above is painful right now. That's okay to feel and be where you are right now. The memories will eventually dissipate.

I still have nightmares, but about memories I haven't processed yet. It sometimes takes time to find the courage to process them. That's okay. I tell myself that I'm okay being where I am at right now. I will eventually be able to face these things with a trusted therapist. I just haven't went back to therapy yet, and I haven't felt trust yet with a therapist. But I'm trying, and that's all we can do.

There may be other better suggestions than I have, but just know that you're not alone. You are a good person, a beautiful person, no matter what.

I'm obese (not just overweight, but now obese), but I remind myself that I do love myself no matter what. I know that you are a beautiful person because you are uniquely you, no matter what.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist