Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2017
9,712 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 21, 2019 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsA View Post
Really? I was just wondering today if adhd and autism could occur together. My sister insists our biological father (he abandoned us when I was 6) has aspergers, but I'm more inclined to think both he and my sister have adhd because they do a lot of similar things, are reckless and lack self awareness amd empathy. Based on things our father said about his father, I believe my grandfather also had some condition that impaired his ability to relate to people. I don't really see a lot of autism-like symptoms in my sister but I she labeled me as autistic a few years back and it made me wonder if she was projecting her own issues onto me. She started misinderstanding simple sentences and can't process expressions like similes and metaphors. I noticed her language problem back in college but it has gotten much worse in recent years.

Are autism and adhd conditions that get worse with age if left untreated? Whatever she has, it became really extreme about 4 years ago. She developed a compulsion to barge into my bedroom an average of 3 times every night, laughing and shouting at the same time. She used to claim that a professor's quiz questions had hidden meanings only she could understand and had occasional clashes with teachers and employers because they didn't appreciate her "unique" interpetation of what was said. Nowadays, she misunderstands simple sentences every day and insists that I can't use English properly. Her meltdowns increased from about 1 a day in her 20s to 10-15 verbal tantrums a day in her late 30, which sometimes ended with slamming doors and food and valuables flung on the floor. I'm sure something is not right, but I've been told it's not enough to force her to get diagnosed. I'm hoping to set some new standards and rules and stop letting her bad temper intimidate me from asserting my rights. I also really love this house and I want to try to restore it to the condition it used to be in.

Thanks for your comment @Buffy01, it just happened to answer the question that was on my mind today.
Yes a person can have autism, adhd, mental retardation all at the same time! My nephew has autism, adhds, ocd, mood swings, mood disorders. Have you check for mental retardation?

Screaming, hitting, banging are sign of autism and adhd. There are many.symptoms. There medication to help with the behavior but there is no cure for autism, adhd. There many study about whether or not it is generic. I'm glad you I could help.

I'm hope that this help!
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote