Community Liaison

Member Since Jul 2011
12.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 22, 2019 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDancer View Post
Wow, this thread has gone into an interesting new (but not unrelated) direction! Not that it wasn't already an interesting topic. Thanks, BethRags for bringing up baseline vs. stability.

Thanks, Christina and Pookyl for your responses to BethRags. Christina, I, too, totally know how crucial it is to stop hypomania in its tracks. Full blown mania is scary for me. I also experience some major price for elevated moods that go too far. I have found that long-term stability is so much better for me in most all ways. I didn't truly learn that until I realized what it was after far too many years. In my youth, I lived for and expected mood elevation thinking THAT should be my baseline. I was Teflon back then to any of its negatives. I do still "let the past stay in the past" to a large degree, but at least have full clarity about it now, unlike then. I see no use in beating myself up (other than maybe a couple explanatory apologies) but it is my responsibility to prevent such behavior now that I understand it. No mania worship from me, now.

My baseline (stable time) is still generally hyperthymic-like. That's OK in my book, but I do figure out, at least eventually or with help, when my mood goes even higher (insight). It also makes any lower moods even more apparent, though I did go through a phase once when I tried to deny any mild episodes (up or down). That was during/after a very long period of mood disturbance. I just wanted to be well already, so I convinced myself I was even when I wasn't 100%. Another form of episode denial.

Yes ! Your self aware and have decided to be very proactive and catch things as soon as things start to tilt. It’s really a huge accomplishment to fully understand how Bipolar can fit into your life and not feel like your life is less than. Yes denial can cause so much more destruction.

Edit : Yes I’m sorry I did steer this off main topic , sorry about that OP I just think so many things are necessary to find a good balance living with BP.

Last edited by ~Christina; Oct 22, 2019 at 01:14 PM..
~Christina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Wild Coyote