View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Oct 22, 2019 at 06:24 PM

After having been on Lithium ER for about 4 or 5 years, my psychiatrist decided to take me off because of a significant side effect. Kidney issues. Despite the kidney issues, he still said that he thought 300 mg reductions every 2 months was best for me (from 900 mg that took a total of 4 months for me to get to 0 mg.) I can't say what would be good for you. Keep in mind that at that time, I was also under the care of a nephrologist (kidney doctor). Both knew exactly what was happening to me during the weaning off process. It's best that your doctor offer advice to you. I think they should be willing, even if you say you're planning to quit them. I will say that I was not going off all medications. When my Lithium ER was being reduced and then eventually eliminated, I was still on several bipolar medications.

My personal experience being weaned off of Lithium ER was only positive, given the length of time of the weaning off process. However, unlike for some people, Lithium was not my wonder drug. Some of my other medications that I was also on back then, were more so. I can say that I have been slowly weaned off of other medications where the weaning process was quite uncomfortable. It took much of a year for me to get off of Geodon after having been on it for 7 years. If I had gone off quicker, I would have suffered withdrawals even more.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Wander, ~Christina