View Single Post
jacq10
Magnate

Member Since Aug 2006
194 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 01, 2008 at 10:55 PM

I'm sure you could find just as many "studies" of children growing up with parents who are still together, yet should have maybe separated.

I think (and this is just my opinion), but you may end up doing your child more harm if you stay together just for the sake of her.

Children learn SO much through observation.. and whether or not you intend for her to see the "bad" side of your relationship... children just know. They can sense when you're not happy, and because they're children and they're egocentric, they may just internalize that the reason you're unhappy is because of them.

To them, they ARE your world, and if you're not happy, then it must be something they're doing.

And then there is also the fact that you may or may not be modeling a relationship with your husband that isn't desirable - ultimately teaching them that its "normal", and one day they too might model this same behaviour.

My parents separated a couple of years ago, and now looking back, i'm glad they did.

Before they sat me and my brothers down and told us, i instinctively knew that something was bothering my mother.... and even though I wasn't really a child anymore, I truly thought that it had something to do with me. I though, well maybe i'm not being sensitive enough to her needs, or i'm only adding to her frustration by not keeping a close enough eye on my brothers, or keeping up with the household chores.

Either way, children are going to go through a period of suffering. It's natural... children want their parents to stay together, but I think in the long run... having happy parents is all that matters.

So do what will make YOU happy, because what makes you happy, will make your child happy.