Lilly2
Account Suspended

Member Since Oct 2019
3,785 hugs
given
Default Oct 31, 2019 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LundiHvalursson View Post
I am much more mixed-race than you, and here where I live in San Francisco, I get asked "What are you?" or "What race are you?" on a regular basis. When I go to meetups, it averages minimum 5 times per event. Using simple maths, that is well over 500 times per year that I get asked what race I am. And unlike you, my looks are non-descript--I could be many races. People go on with guessing games where they guess my race without my consent or cooperation and ask me things like, "Are you Mexican/Japanese/Indonesian/Spanish/Portuguese/Cuban/Persian/Indian/Korean/Pakistani/French/Italian/Dominican/Honduran/Guatemalan/Argentinian/Brazilian/Moroccan/Algerian/Tunisian/Arab/Egyptian/Chilean/Puerto Rican/[insert random nationality here]?" It is truly unbelievably annoying, and I often get into verbal arguments with people because they insist on knowing my race without even knowing me, some not even caring to ask what my name is.

For the record, my ethnicity is approximately 60% Chinese, 25% Spanish, 10% Central Asian (Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Uyghur, etc.) and the remaining 5% a completely random mix from all over.

Lately, I have been called "Hispanic" and random Latin American nationalities like "Mexican" or "Spanish" or "Cuban".
@LundiHvalursson

Thank you for sharing and relating to my original post.

I'm sorry that you struggle with these issues, too.
Lilly2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote