Wisest Elder Ever

Member Since Nov 2002
81.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 31, 2019 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter4me View Post
For too many years BPD was a diagnosis that carried a stigma in and out of the psych
profession------------hopefully with the work of people like Marsha Linehan and a better understanding of the behaviors exhibited this is changing.
Also, remember, just like ANY diagnosis. You are not the diagnosis anymore than anyone with any medical diagnosis is their diagnosis. It is a part of what you are dealing with and now there are good tools out there to work with. I suspect one reason it got such a bad rap is that it was mostly dx in women...and dismissed with stupid phrases like "she just wants attention" etal.... and sufferers were not believed or taken seriously/acknowledged to be in actual pain which pushes people to extreme expression of unmanageable, intolerable emotions....
Good post.

I would say no, you are not ''less than'' because of a diagnosis which was not and is not your ''choice''..

There are good tools to help with this these days. In some locations anyway. I very much doubt that you are ''broken beyond repair'' and if anyone suggests that they don't have your best interests at heart... No diagnosis defines who you are. it's a part of you only. Such a stigma in the psych profession, as mentioned above, is a sad thing...Professionals are there to heal, or at least to help. Not to judge and label.