Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 02, 2019 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum220 View Post
@BethRags Hi possum
How is is going on the Metformin? I have been taking Galvumet 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night which is combination of Metformin and Vildagliptin. It kept me stable for years. That sounds excellent.
I am also on 200mg per night of Seroquel which I have tried to wean off but I havent managed it. How did you manage to get off Seroquel if you dont mind me asking?

Ugh, Seroquel. I was on it for about 7 years. I cannot recall my original dose, but I think it might have been at about 350mg. A few years ago I dropped it down to 75mg because it wasn't doing anything positive for me with the exception of helping me to sleep.

I was on the 75 for about a year. Then dropped it down to 50mg. I couldn't see any reason to stay on 75 just for sleep, so dropped the dose to 50mg, then just a few months later, to 25mg. (I wish I'd dropped it to 50 much sooner.)

I remained on 25 for a few months. Again saw no reason to take 25 when Seroquel for sleep is most effective at a very low dose. Went down to 12.5mg. That dosage definitely helped me sleep, but I kept gaining weight. Finally, I insisted that my pdoc allow me to stop taking the Seroquel altogether.

I tried to stop and ended up being unable to sleep for more than 2 hours at a stretch. Absolute torture. It was that way for a month and I was desperate to stop the Seroquel, but still be able to sleep.

Then I started taking the 12.5mg Seroquel at night prn. So if I felt especially wired I'd take it (about every third night). At that point, I felt like I'd never be able to go off the stuff. Plus, I was having some manic/delusional symptoms. So my pdoc prescribed Zyprexa. So far, so good. I haven't taken the 12.5 Seroquel in 5 nights, and my sleep has been very good. If I have a night in which I am completely unable to sleep, I do have some Seroquel left. I'd take the 12.5 in that case. But I hope to never take it again.

I apologize for making this post so long; I wanted to detail my "miserable Seroquel journey" to you. I hope it is helpful. The bottom line is that Seroquel was very difficult (for me, anyway) to stop taking. It needed to be done patiently, bit by slow bit. Very frustrating - but it can be done.

As for the Metformin, I've taken only 2 doses thus far. But the day after the first dose my appetite was back to the way it had been all of my life before Seroquel. "Normal" I think. I didn't awaken feeling like I wanted to eat 3 breakfasts! Same thing today. I am ecstatic and have my fingers and toes crossed that the Metformin will help me lose weight. I'm exercising some in physical therapy (injured achilles tendon). So if I can drop even 15lbs I believe that I will be able to start walking for some distances again. Right now my weight is causing chronic pain issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by possum220 View Post
My weight is an big issue. Recently my bsls have increased so have now added Trulicity which is great for turning down the appetite. It also decreased my average bsls.

That is wonderful!

Having said that I am due to get a blood test soon for my bsls and report in to my gp. I am uncertain that this time will be as successful but I never can tell.

I wish you all the best with the blood test. And with getting off Seroquel. I hope I have been of some help; please don't hesitate to ask me about my abandonment of Seroquel if you have any other questions.

@Marilyn I am sorry to hear that you have pain. I do wish you the best of luck with the nurse on Monday. Sugar cravings are hard to stop when they get going. I love my chocolate but it doesn't like me either. Good on you for giving it up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote