Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 03, 2019 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch99 View Post
I've heard that people with PTSD have flash backs and/or nightmares about a particular event. That does not describe my situation. Can you have a particularly traumatic event and not really want to talk about about it or even think about it without it being considered PTSD?
in simple terms PTSD just means a person has a set of symptoms that are because of either going through a trauma their self, witnessing a trauma or being very close friend/ family member of someone who has recently gone through a trauma, or the person is a first responder to a trauma like a firefighter, soldier, medics,

example many people have nightmares, flashbacks, anxiety, depression, memory problems and how they react after being in a car accident, or abuse of some kind or a natural disaster or in recent years all these school shooting cases going on.

most people who have PTSD ………...in general...………..go through periods of time where they talk about what happened and bounce into not being able to talk about what happened.

example when I witnessed a trauma this caused me to have nightmares, flashbacks, anxiety, depression and have memory problems. at first all I could do was talk about it to who ever asked "how are you?" I was totally shocked that something like this trauma (wont post what the traumatic event was due to triggering others ) would happen in a hospital ER right there in front of me to the person next to me. it was like instinct to run off at the mouth telling people what happened. but then eventually things slowed down to where logic kicked back in and my shock response eased, then I didn't want to and couldn't talk to others about it. I just wanted to get on with my life and get through and things back to normal. then I hit another stage in PTSD where it was time to talk about it again with my treatment providers, working out ways that I would be able to feel safe again.

theres no requirement that a person Must talk about their trauma's this is now a personal choice and what will help each person be able to get through what happened to them and be able to move on with their lives.

my suggestion is talk with your treatment providers about this and they will help you to decide whether talking about your traumatic events is necessary for you to do.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Lilly2, Mendingmysoul

Thanks for this!
Twitch99