View Single Post
Anonymous43089

Default Nov 03, 2019 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly2 View Post
I think every human, no matter their limitations, struggles with reading, receiving, and or responding to certain emotions. But to *not* minimize your struggles, I cannot imagine what it must be like to not feel or understand emotions.
Of course. It's a skill. No one is going to be perfect at it, and we all **** up at times. However, the way psychopaths process emotional information is entirely different from non-psychopaths. MRI scans have shown that, when presented with people who are emotional, psychopaths use areas of the brain that deal with logic, and the emotion centers remain dark. Normal people's brains do the opposite. In certain situations, psychopaths actually outperformed normals in identifying emotions. So it isn't really a limitation, but a different way of learning entirely.

Now, when it comes to forming bonds with those emotional people and not only understanding their emotions on a deeper level, but also relating to them in real time, psychopaths are terrible. You might as well be asking a blind person to paint a tree.

I do have emotions, just not many, and I don't think I experience them the same way most people do. I can also, to some degree, kinda sorta empathize with other people, but it takes a lot of deliberate effort. For example, if I want to understand someone who's afraid, I have to deliberately stop and try to remind myself of a time when I was similarly afraid. It rarely leads to compassionate action, however.

Overall, it has its ups and downs.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you've had any success in therapy
Nope. It helps to be able to talk openly about it, but it's never really helped beyond that point, and I'm not paying that much money just to talk about myself.

Quote:
Also, I think your wanting a relationship with another person with psychopathy sounds great, but I think there have been success stories with those who claim to be primary psychopaths (born with it) and are married, holding down great jobs (I think as researchers, professors, government employees, etc.), and are doing great things for the community.
There are such stories, and kudos to them for making it work. I'm not sure I could. The willing mate would have to be very patient and understanding, because home is my space, and I have no intention of placating their emotions when I'm home.

Quote:
Anyway, I thought I'd respond to you with some encouragement. Maybe the following might be funny or not received the same as others may receive it, but I like to give (((safe hugs))) online, so here goes: (((safe hugs))) It may not be the same thing as a real hug, but it generally means kindness and happiness and understanding are returned back and/or offered to the person you're speaking with.
Thanks for the hug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadGirl View Post
I know a few with aspd and some paths. They are easier to get along with because they are rational thinkers. Companionship is great provided you understand the disorders. Romantically it can be complicated.
Yeah, I lack the emotional capacity for romantic involvement. Y'all mother****ers so needy!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Lilly2

Thanks for this!
Atypical_Disaster, Lilly2