Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 04, 2019 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch99 View Post
Thank you for that. I guess my follow up question would be how can I experience the same thing so many other people yet I seem to be the only so scarred by it? Am i just weaker than everyone else?

The example you used of a school shooting. I witnessed the same thing everyone else did, yet only me and a small number of other people are so traumatized by this that we can't get over it.
no you are not weaker than anyone else. human beings are not clones of each other, each person has their own triggers, life style, health issues, cultures. even how one is raised will sometimes factor in whether a person has PTSD problems or not.

example I was raised in my native American culture so for me its not a trigger when I encounter wild animals. I enjoy being out in nature and doing things like camping and other be in touch with nature activities, where as my neighbor was not raised in native American culture, she is not comfortable with wild animals or camping or bugs... for her encountering a bear would cause her to have PTSD (nightmares, panic attacks, flashbacks and other PTSD problems) I encounter a bear and I calmly take a pic and slowly walk backwards and go on with my normal life. this does not make her weaker or me stronger. it just speaks to the fact that wild life is not one of my triggers because I was raised in a culture that honors and respects the wild animals. not fear them.

my point is you just have a different body, mind, life and experiences and health issues that others may not have, you may have triggers that others do not have. it doesn't make you weaker than someone else.
amandalouise is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Lilly2

Thanks for this!
*Beth*