View Single Post
*Beth*
catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
Default Nov 06, 2019 at 06:02 PM

Honestly, I (unfortunately) gave up on reading the article because of all the pop-ups.

The entire subject of menopause is treated extremely strangely in western society. I certainly was not prepared for it and, yes, when I was younger, "menopause" meant a woman went from being youthful and desirable to being old and withered up. A has-been - but she was supposed to just accept her state of being and move along.

I had no idea that there are many years of life to be lived during menopause and after menopause! I'm still struggling with this "new me."

What I find extraordinarily odd is that not one of my medical team members (GP, pdoc, therapist) have mentioned menopause a single time to me. Not once. No, "How has your life changed after menopause?" - nothing.

If a 50-something year old woman came into my medical or therapy office the first thing I'd ask her about is her menopause and how it's affecting her.

That not a single medical professional has asked me about it gives me a message of menopause being taboo and not important enough to discuss. The reality is that, along with pregnancy, menopause has been the most outstanding event of my life. During/after menopause I am, in many ways, an entirely different person than I was - and I still don't now how to be now, who I am, and where I want to be.

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Lilly2

Thanks for this!
Lilly2