View Single Post
Lilly2
Account Suspended

Member Since Oct 2019
3,785 hugs
given
Heart Nov 06, 2019 at 06:19 PM

Thank you soooo much for saying that @BethRags ... I am not there yet, but I feel my body transitioning, and not once has anyone addressed perimenopause or the emotional effects of aging transitions. Therapists should know this particular stage of development, and how it interacts with certain mental disorders.

I am sick of this being minimized, or considered a negative. I see people here with titles of "wise elder," I think, so too shall we embrace ageing with grace, as opposed to disgrace.

Thank you for your wisdom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRags View Post
Honestly, I (unfortunately) gave up on reading the article because of all the pop-ups.

The entire subject of menopause is treated extremely strangely in western society. I certainly was not prepared for it and, yes, when I was younger, "menopause" meant a woman went from being youthful and desirable to being old and withered up. A has-been - but she was supposed to just accept her state of being and move along.

I had no idea that there are many years of life to be lived during menopause and after menopause! I'm still struggling with this "new me."

What I find extraordinarily odd is that not one of my medical team members (GP, pdoc, therapist) have mentioned menopause a single time to me. Not once. No, "How has your life changed after menopause?" - nothing.

If a 50-something year old woman came into my medical or therapy office the first thing I'd ask her about is her menopause and how it's affecting her.

That not a single medical professional has asked me about it gives me a message of menopause being taboo and not important enough to discuss. The reality is that, along with pregnancy, menopause has been the most outstanding event of my life. During/after menopause I am, in many ways, an entirely different person than I was - and I still don't now how to be now, who I am, and where I want to be.
Lilly2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*