View Single Post
LundiHvalursson

Member Since Sep 2019
Default Nov 07, 2019 at 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRags View Post

Sn Francisco is one of the racially diverse cities in the world. I can definitely understand how annoying and offensive it can be to be prodded about your racial ancestry. Of all places, though, I would tend to think that the people in SF who ask about your background are genuinely interested in knowing more about you and you heritage/cultural practices. It's possibly that it isn't necessarily racism. Just my thought.
One would think so, but being asked on average at least five times per week is way too much in my opinion. As well as when I did reply in the past, they used to say, "Really?" or "Are you sure?", to me sounds like a passive-aggressive retort to imply that I do not look like the ethnicities that I am telling them that I am.

The times when they ask my nationality, as in where I was born and grew up, what passport(s) I have, the nationalities and racial background of my parents and each set of grandparents is suspicious to me. When I used to answer honestly in the past, I got comments like, "You do not look like American?", "When I think of American, someone like you does not come to mind" or "You were born here? Really? But where are you really from?" to me is more blatant about implying that they do not believe me. Then that begs the question, why ask me in the first place when they do not want to believe my answers?

I am not sure if you have gotten these replies, but hearing them in person is really annoying.
LundiHvalursson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Lilly2, mote.of.soul

Thanks for this!
Lilly2